Butternut Squash, Kale and White Bean Soup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 cups roasted butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 16 oz cans cannellini or white beans, drained and rinsed
1 large bunch fresh kale, rinsed and chopped
2 tablespoons prepared pesto, optional
Salt and pepper
- To roast the butternut squash, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cube 1 large or 2 medium butternut squash. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Roast the squash for about 18 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- In a stockpot, sauté onion in vegetable oil until soft then add garlic, cook stirring gently about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add the white beans and chopped kale and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add to the soup the roasted butternut squash.
- Season with salt and pepper. If desired, stir in 2 tablespoons pesto.
Enjoy with Middlebury Maple Castleton Crackers.